25 July 2011

Review: I, Ced 'All In My Mind'












I, CED
All In My Mind
[Record Breakin']

Jazzy Hip Hop. There, I said it. Hate away. Regardless of how you or I feel about those opening three worlds, they describe this style of music pretty damned accurately; particularly along with these three words: deep underground soul. Unfortunately, and despite the obvious and endearing charms of this outstanding debut album, underground is right where it's destined to stay - and commercial radio listeners will remain all the poorer for it. L.A.-based beat maker and musician I, Ced (yep, that's right...) has delivered a gorgeously layered and meticulously arranged album of genuine soulful (and jazzy!) hip hop music. Semi-recognisable snatches of songs, or hooks from songs, float by; the blend of samples and live instrumentation is on point; and the guest vocalists add rather than distract. Much like when you first heard D'Angelo or Maxwell, you'll inevitably slide sideways into this sensually love-drenched stuff. Don't even try to deny it.

4 stars from 5

No comments:

Post a Comment